Sunday, May 27, 2007

Soulful Movies



I'm a big fan of soulful, spirited movies. Actually, that's all I really try to watch anymore. I'm a delicate petal and am easily affected by movies with suspense, terror, gore or action. (That includes Harry Potter - I'm not kidding). For me, it feels almost excruciating to watch a kid being snuck up on, a sword fight or harsh words. I think: I wouldn't want to see this in my real life, so why on earth would I subject my spirit to it by watching a movie of it. I have a difficult time knowing what is "real" and what is "imaginary" because they both FEEL the same.

For most of my life thus far, I tried to like whatever was thrown at me from the cinema screen. I tried to be okay with it. But for me, it wasn't a joyful experience. It was too much, and it would affect me for days afterwards.

I am affected in the same way by novels, so I rarely read them. I remember reading a novel about a schizophrenic man constructing his own world of reality when I was living in Malaysia for a few months. At the end of the book, you find out all you thought was real was actually the imaginary part of the book. I felt truly screwed up for three days afterwards.

I am now at a point in my life where I embrace my tenderness, and choose movies and books that nourish it.

As Jewel would say ~
"I'm sensitive
and I'd like to stay that way."

When I do watch a beautiful movie, my heart feels lightened and I feel blessed that I have been able to see into a new world. There is so much good stuff out there ~ and I'd like to give voice to it, and share resources of how to love our divine spirits as best we can.

I would love to share my list of movies that have nourished my spirit,
and hear your list too, so I know which ones to look out for :)




Baraka


Conversations with God


Ten Canoes


Dreamkeeper


Disney's "The Kid"


The Blue Butterfly


Small Miracles


Amelie

And of course ~


The Secret (now renamed "The Common Sense")


What the Bleep do we Know?!


Movies still to see ~

The Celestine Prophecy

Peaceful Warrior

Do share what movies inspired you, nourished you, made your belly smile...
I'll add them to this list :)

May your spirit always be blessed ~
Leonie


6 comments:

Toni said...

The Peaceful Warrior is absolutely great. You'll love it.

The only movies on your list that I've seen are Amelie (delicious) and The Secret (and I like the new name for it).

I'll have to start checking around for the other titles.

søren said...

i feel the same way about movies and books, except that horror movies don't upset me because they're so ridiculous. Brokeback Mountain seriously broke my heart, I couldn't snap out of it for a long time.

Can I ask, was the book that freaked you out called Shutter Island? That book was the same was as what you're talking about and I felt really messed up for days afterwards!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who got scared in Harry Potter! I totally understand what you mean Leonie. I've come to accept and embrace my sensitivity and really censor what I watch these days! Thankyou for the recommendations! Love, Swirlyange

Amanda said...

hideous kinky...so beautiful. and the book is so sweet too.

and i love stealing beauty...

jenica said...

i feel the same sensitive way, and i'm always made fun of for it.

movies that fed my soul:
house of D
the family rock
charlotte's web (in the words of my 5 year old, "mama, i just wanna cry now it's just such a SWEET story!)
and yes, even Blades of Glory

Anonymous said...

your last three are on my faves list too. thanks for posting this, it gives me some great ideas for movie watching on stormy days.

i have some that spring to mind:
1. dead poet's society (robin williams), where i first heard the walt whitman poem, oh captain my captain.
2. big fish
3. the notebook. amazing love story which has me weepy every time
4. a walk to remember. see (3)
5. miss potter. i loved how rene talked to benjamin bunny and the other characters in the movie and how they were animated. way too cute for words.

love, love
leonie-over-the-sea