Thursday, January 11, 2007

the way



it's only just begun, but already it is a part of me.

yes, it is the artist's way.

i've been writing morning pages for a week now.

and it's become not just a practice now, but a much needed process.

this morning, after pulling my back out at the gym yesterday, i lay propped up in bed with a zillion pillows, thankful i had enough flexibility to write. i.can.survive.as.long.as.i.get.my.morning.pages.

i didn't get what they were about at first, i just trusted that julia was right and that there was something magic about them.

and she is right.

i write three pages every morning and i write all the crappiest lowest thoughts in my brain out. when i first started, i was writing thoughts and feelings that had plagued me for months ~ inadequacies, jealousy and fear that would stalk and ambush me in quiet moments.

so i started capturing them on the page. asking my friend The Page to hold them and take care of them.

and everytime they came up, i'd write them down again.

and they got really boring, and even better ~ they got really clear.

once i allowed the vent out, expelled it out into the air, it was like letting the fire burn to ashes. all that remained was a vacuum, and the truth. the longings and the needs that were sitting under the pain started ascending to the surface, so i wrote those too.

it feels cathartic and shaky and like an earthquake is tremouring through me.

when i feel this uncomfortable nature in me, there is a spark that wants to run and hide to where it's safe and without the tremours, but i smile and tell myself:

this is good. we are breaking the ice so the river can flow again. this is how it is supposed to feel. so i stuck it out.

and now the low thoughts are out, there is space, a beautiful space of quiet emptiness, and a clear answer of what i want.

so guess what the universe does?

it hears me.
and it sees i have space in my life now.

and i begin to get exactly what i ask for.

a small, crystal clear creek joins my tributary and brings me great gifts of serendipity, synchronicity, connections and clarity.

an example? i wrote a woman's name in my morning pages ~ Liz. I wrote about her talking about morning pages and how i resonated with her sharings. half hour later we serendipitously have our first conversation. it lasts for hours, and i have one of those kindling thoughts that it may just be all part of the unfolding of our purposes and destinies.

this is the big stuff, the good stuff.

and it has only just begun.

off to bed again, to curl up with twyla tharp and maybe write some creative affirmations.

i feel like i've just found where the ropes to my own sails are, and this boat is gusting along with thoughts of purpose and joy.

love,
leonie.
the brilliant, successful, prolific and spirit filled artist, writer and photographer.

10 comments:

silvergirl said...

mwah darling lonie ... so glad you have discovered the morning pages. as i read your words, the words came to me "getting the stuckness out" ... breaking the ice to let things flow is absolutely it.

xx

Anonymous said...

You know, I just remembered about morning pages and how I'd always wanted to try doing them, and then I woke up to this post instead of waking up to three pages of paper... maybe I will start them after all {tomorrow, of course. Have to procrastinate just a little while longer}

liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh i just love this (of course). you are doing it. the work. the morning pages are a representation of this work...and this is beautiful!

love how you signed this one - fantastic!!

::Bek Geach:: said...

Beauty.
Towards the end of last year I began my morning pages... it only lasted about 10 days.

I decided to make it (just one) of my main priorities for 2007 and I have promised myself to continue ~no matter what~...see how I go, so far, so good :-)

I, like you, find much freedom in getting my morning pages done... in the still of the morning, whilst my love ones sleep. Its a wonderful gift to myself.

I am so happy to be on *another* parrallel journey with you.
Its lovely.
(hugs)
Bx

::Bek Geach:: said...

Tho... arnt all artists on parallel journeys together??

It divinly feels so most days :-)

I love that.
And you!
Bx

Shell said...

Oh, I've always wanted to read and 'do' this book, but just haven't got around to it. I've heard great things about it too.

I'm so glad that you are finding meaning in the process of writing your 'morning pages'.

Another spectacularly beautiful post. Always so inpsired!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Artist's Way....Yay!!

It's going to be great....morning pages change your life in so many amazing ways. Be brave all of you!! No...scratch that....you are all already brave, so brava, brava, brava!!

Anonymous said...

so great that you are doing these! i started early december and still seem to be struggling with them. i find myself continually writing words of doubt, wondering if i'm 'doing it right'. I haven't been strictly following the guidelines in the artist's way, simply writing whatever turns up. perhaps i would feel more 'successful' if i kept to the suggested format!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with the pages. And the tasks.

i started TAW in last March and i'm still going! im on 'week' 7, needing to complete tasks + learn the lessons b4 moving on.

TAW has helped me write, draw, show others my work, get a flikr site, make 1000 handouts using my handwriting + drawings for a public event of , claim £200 of long owed money, get a job, and perhaps most imporantly, face my depression. oops, i think im used to writing what i feel now. sorry for the rant! rah morning pages!

Anonymous said...

I can endorse the morning pages (although I usually write at lunchtime) and I can strongly recommend Twyla Tharp's 'The Creative Habit' - together they're a potent force for creative change. I wrote about my morning midday pages madness here: http://marginalia.ako.net.nz/?p=364

Keep writing, it's easy to give up between day 10 and day 20...