Thursday, September 15, 2005

what is the shenizzle?

"Be not afraid of growing slowly,
be afraid only of standing still."
~ Chinese proverb

My sister sent me this beautiful picture she took of me and my nephew Joshua. We spent that afternoon sitting on the lawn, reading books and laughing in the warmth. Joshua wasn't feeling well, and spent hours lying in my lap. It was entirely precious.

Precious moments are abound. I rode fast on my bike in the darkness tonight, stopping at each flowered bush to smell them. Raced under a luminous Jupiter and a growing moon. Stopped to watch water flowing down the flood drains. I finally discovered parts of my neighbourhood I had always wanted to find out about. I grew breathless and sore, and elated.

This freedom... this new way of seeing the world... has been the greatest gift of all.

A gift on two wheels.

The simple things...
they are the shenizzle.

2 comments:

GailNHB said...

The photo of you and your nephew is gorgeous. Such peace and comfort. Such rest and trust. He is blessed to have you to with with him, read to him, and love him. Would you read a book to me sometime? Could I put my head on your lap too? Truthfully, I'd settle for a cup of tea and journaling together...

The photos of hugs, tales of bike riding adventures, and the glory of stopping to smell the flowers -this is what dreams are made of. I'm thrilled that you get to live out a few of your dreams, that you are seeing the world through new eyes and new lenses, and that the world is responding to your curiosity by revealing its most precious and beautiful sights, sounds, smells, and tastes. I look forward to reading and seeing more about your life journey.

Also, Maya is delicious. Funny, full of energy, smart, and a joy to grow up with.

Hugs and giggles, Gail

GailNHB said...

Oops... can I replace that first "with" in the beginning paragraph of my comment with a "sit"??? Does that make sense? I knew I should have reread the comment before posting it.

Sorry, Gail