Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Putting the GRAND in Grandmother



This is my super sassy Granny and her sister Sally in their early twenties.
Tomorrow I am flying back home for Granny's birthday, and a celebration of ninety years of magnificent living.

I want to hold in my heart all the ways my Gran has touched my life.

My friend Shan allocates a special type of description to the women she respects: she says they have "guts, balls, determination and integrity."
My Gran is that kind of woman. She also has a smile that she embraces the whole town with. She has a way of making people feel good and safe with her. She knows things intuitively before anyone else does.

On the phone not so long ago, she said to me
"I think your sister is interested in a suitor, Leonie."
"Really Gran? Why's that?"
"She's been taking to dressing herself nice of late, and she has a little glow around her... I think she might be interested in a young man."
Sure enough, Gran was right. As she always is.


She looks like she has wings here...

And she has SASS.
That woman looks good every day of the week. I took these photos of her in April, and she was wearing spunky pink stillettos, white pedal pushers, a striped pink flowing top and huge white framed "winkers" (otherwise known as sunglasses, for those who do not speak Gran-language.)

I'd just picked her up from the op-shop where she still works a few days a week.
She said to me:
"Leonie, do you know I sold hundreds of dollars of clothes today?"
"Really? That's awesome Gran!"
"Do you want to know why I am so successful at it?"
"Why?"
"Because I model all of the clothes!"

And with that, she placed her hands on her hips, and waggled.

My Gran has SASS.


My mum and grandmother, doing their dance of love for 55 years...

The morning before we took these photos, I was driving with Mum, and said to her:
"Mum, I've always felt different. Odd. Unique. A bit zany. Just a bit out of skew with everyone else. I wonder if it's genetic, and where I get it from."
And she sighed this tiny whisper of a sigh, and replied:
"I feel like that too sometimes. Maybe you get it from me. I don't know where I get it from."
And then we looked out over the yellow eucalypts rushing by.

Later that day, I told Granny I wanted to take some photos of her.
And she giggled like a schoolgirl, and said dramatically
"I don't know how to pose though... I'm camera shy... I've never been a model before..."
"Sure thing Gran, we'll just go with the flow."

I turned on my camera, and took some test shots.
"I know! Let's play on the swings!" she says, and she is off with a trot.
My Mum sits on the opposite end to even out the weight.

It must have been quite a sight really.

Three blonde women in hysterics of laughter. The two oldest playing on the swings. The youngest with camera full of smiles.

And there in her little pink stillettos, my camera-shy Gran with her little white bob, bouncing up and down on the swings, yahooing like a rodeo cowgirl.



It was at that point I turned to Mum and said
"I think we just found our genetic zany-ness."

This woman must have had ninety years of practice because she sure is good at LIVING.

So this weekend is a gathering of all my family and relatives, and ninety of my Gran's closest friends to celebrate this Woman.

This woman of huge strength, a lion's heart, a mother's courage, a shining smile and crazy diamond spirit. My grandmother has grieved two husbands, two sons and a grandson. But every time I ask her how she is, she replies with a thousand-megawatted smile:
"I woke up this morning. I was still breathing. So, I thought: it's a GOOD day!"

I have so much to learn from this woman. The whole world does, I think.

Happy, happy birthday my beautiful grandmother.
For all the good days that have come before and all the good days to come,
I celebrate and love you with all my heart, and am so honoured to have come from you.

Big love,
Leonie


P.S. If there was any way to get ninety birthday wish comments... that would be oh-so-freaking glorious... I could show her them on Sunday all the wishes from around the world!
All good either way... but just putting it out there ;)


~
Back next week! :)

61 comments:

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

This post gave me a lump in my throat...what an amazing, extraordinary and awesome woman your Gran is. Oh to be 90 and have her joyous and youthful spirit. You're right, everyone could learn a thing or two from her...at any age!
enjoy the celebration!

Anonymous said...

Loved this post... your gran is beautiful!
Happy birthday to her. :)

-penelope

Brandi Reynolds said...

my goal in life is to now be like your granny :-)

with love and deep, deep affection and appreciation-have a wonderful birthday miss leonie's granny!

Anonymous said...

I smiled so HUGE with knowing that as I get older, life continues to be wonderful and full of FUN!!!
Tears also took a part in my feelings; feelings of sueeing such a beautiful woman and the loving words her granddaughter has for her granny.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,GRANNY!!!!
You look divine!

Rebecca E. Parsons/Cre8Tiva said...

here's wish # 2...oh happy, happy birthday Gran...how glorious the women who came before you...i celebrate with you...blessings, rebecca

Anonymous said...

I'll put my well wishes to add to the 90: Happy Birthday to the marvelous woman that passed her beauty and passion for life to her daughter and granddaughter. Cheers to you and your Grandma.

Darla said...

Happy Birthday to a woman who lives her life as an example for the rest of us.

Maybe you didn't know it but I think your "job description" says TEACHER.

Darla

Anonymous said...

Happy 90th to your grandma! My grandma is going to be 94 this year and just as sprite and lively as ever.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

wow. she is an incredible woman. i wish i could meet her...
she is beautiful and seems full of courage and spunk...quite the combination.

happy, happy birthday to your dear Gran!!!

leonie said...

i want to honour your grandmother. i haven't met her and yet i *love* her anyway. grandmothers are precious pearls and to be treasured. please give her my loving birthday wishes.

there with you..

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your Gran! What an amazing woman, I hope when I am 90 I have that kind of verve and zang. I hope you have a fabulous time celebrating with her!

Elizabeth said...

I would sure like to be in on wishing your Gran a Very Happy Birthday...a wish from across the sea and world. My Gran was a wonderful-zany-life loving woman, too. Have a great day with your family, Lovely Leonie!

ElizabethAnn

ruthee... said...

Please tell your astonishing Gran that....

that...

Well, I can't quite put it into words.

Tell her that she is everything I hope to be and that my kids and grandkids find me as wonderful, inspiring and amazing.

Lianne said...

Wow... what a breathtakingly beautiful woman! Thank you Leonie's Grandmum for being so wonderfully unique and so filled with life. Happy, happy birthday! And may you celebrate many more!

Silvia said...

I'm just in awe of this story. I have so much to learn about living!

Happy Birthday to your gran! Have a wonderful celebration :)

xOx

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I have 30 years to go, hopefully I will do it as gracefully as you!

Katie said...

Happy, happy birthday to your Gran! What an amazing, spunky woman. I hope her day is even BETTER than all the others. :)

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother is GRANDer than life and I am truly inspired by both of you, to see the magic in everything that surrounds us.

Goddess blessings for a magnificent 90th birthday, GRANDmother to Leonie!! As my Dad would say, you're lookin' pretty snazzy ; )

Tammi

Lil said...

Happy Birthday Gran! Helluva woman sounds like...I wish I had half your sass and a grandmother like you!

*twirls around in an orange boa*

Lil

Anonymous said...

To Dear Gran,
You go girl. Happy Birthday!! I am so happy and grateful for women just like you. May you continue to be most richly blessed!

Constance

Olivia said...

Happy Birthday, Gran, to a role model for us "young" mid-lifers :) May you continue to enjoy your life, your family, your blessings, Love, Olivia

søren said...

What an awesome person to have in your family... or even, in the world! What wonderful pictures. You sure can't tell she's camera shy! She's beautiful. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRAN, FROM MASSACHUSETTS, USA! :)

kelly rae said...

seriously, seriously wonderful. the photos are perfect!

Anonymous said...

oh your grammy is just precious!!!!!!!!!

i love the way you honored her here....

i can't belieive how stylish she is. i am so digging on those shoes and boa.

have a happy birthday granny!!!!!!!!

:)

love
mccabe

Elizabeth said...

I would sure like to be in on wishing your Gran a Very Happy Birthday...a wish from across the sea and world. My Gran was a wonderful-zany-life loving woman, too. Have a great day with your family, Lovely Leonie!

ElizabethAnn

Odessa said...

what an amazing, wonderful spirit your gran is. and its obvious that you love her. hope she has a fabulous, fabulous 90th birthday - one that she truly deserves.

btw,found your site via liz of "be present, be here". enjoyed your posts, will come back and visit for sure.

SonyaMadden said...

Beautiful post chicka and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LEONIE's GRAN :D
Wishing you 90 000 000 (milliom) more wonderful moments like the ones shared with us in Leonie's post.

xxoo

Toni said...

What a GLORIOUS woman!

Happy Birthday Gran! Thanks for sharing your vivacious spirit with Leonie and the world. You simply shine in the photographs your granddaughter has shared with us. Keep on shining!

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed to have such a sassy grandmother to love, to photograph, to learn from, and to fly with. I never had the chance to know or spend time with any of my grandparents. Thanks for sharing your beautiful, funny, wise grandmother with all of us. Happy swinging, Gail

Anonymous said...

i loved this post so much!!! i hope your grandmother has a wonderful 90th birthday!

Anonymous said...

I thought this Hopi Indian saying would be quite apt for your Gran, Leonie...

"When the Grandmothers speak, the world will begin to heal. Listen to the Grandmothers."

If we all listened to Grandmothers like yours, just think how wonderful the world would be!

Happy Birthday Gran!

Love from Keechypeachy

Anonymous said...

What an inspiring young girl your Grandmother is. Happy Birthday Grandma!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lioness! She has an amazing glow and looks like she easily might have another 90 years in her. Thank you for sharing her sass!

Magicaldamselfly said...

Happy Birthday zany(Leonie's) grandmother. You are blessed on this day and oh so loved!

Fairy blessings,
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Grandmothers are the best people ever! You are so very fortunate - your Gran is sassy and wonderful indeed! Makes my miss my grandmother so very very much. Please tell your Gran Happy Birthday from a gal in the US. And here's to another 90 years of fabulousness!

titration said...

http://titration.blogspot.com/2007/07/poetry-or-inspire-me-thursday.html

Linked to you in this blog post today.

Cheryl Finley said...

Leonie,
Oh...this is such a wonderful, touching story. I see the joy and radiance in your grandmothers being..and it makes me smile. I am thrilled to know she's here impacting our world with her joy for life!. Now THAT is the fountain of youth if there was one.
Thank your for sharing this thrilling story! And the pics are fabulous!
And congrats on being featured at IMT!

P.S. I love Sassy Grandmas...and moms! My mom was one too...and so am I...but I could take a few refresher lessons from my mom...and your "Mum"!

Tammy said...

Wow - what an amazing Gran you have!! (I found my way here via Liz at Be Present Be Here)... The photos and your writing about her are inspiring. Please send her my love from Colorado on her birthday!!

daisies said...

Sending birthday wishes to your beautiful joyous grandmother who embodies the reminder that we can all be joyous at any time, any age :)

I love these amazing beautiful photos of her ~ her spirit shines through! xoxox

Mercer's Daughter said...

Happy Birthday Gran! I love the spirit your granddaughter was able to capture with her photos and words.
Lots of talent in the family I see, zany? zany is good!
Victoria

Melissa said...

Love this post

You have been tagged, by me!
http://sideproject.blogspot.com

love melissa

Steffi said...

Happy Happy Birthday!
And a wonderful party!

boho girl said...

i had tears and a huge smile reading this!!!

yes...the whole world can learn from your sassy Gran. she's beautiful in all ways.

please give her a snuggle and a neck nuzzle from me...and a kiss on the cheek.

she is an inspiration!!!

happy birthday Gran!!!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Your Granny is super cool! My Gran passed, and sadly, I never knew her very well, but if I did, I suspect that she would be as full of life as your Granny. Thank you for sharing and helping me to remember my own roots.
Have a Fabulous and Luscious Birthday Celebration!!!!!

meghan said...

Oh! I hope that you get lots of comments - show her what you do get! This post gave me goosebumps and inspiration!! What a woman - what a legacy! I am honoured that you shared her with us!!! Please wish her a very very very happy birthday and give her a squeeze from a Canadian in the UK!

xo

23rdspiral said...

Happy Birthday Leonie's Granny!
Have a wonderful time celebrating with your inspiring grand-daughter. My gran turned 95 last week - the ninties are a special decade we think.

Best Wishes from 23rdspiral, in England.

only me said...

Best Wishes from Philadelphia to a woman who's life is not measured in years but in joys.
I aspire to be you.
Grandkids don't lie - you are everything Leonie said and more.
Happy Life Day!

only me said...

Best Wishes from Philadelphia to a woman who's life is not measured in years but in joys.
I aspire to be you.
Grandkids don't lie - you are everything Leonie said and more.
Happy Life Day!

Dawn said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday Leonie-Gran!! You are an inspiration to the WHOLE world!

Keep on ridin' cowgirl!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday super-cool-leonie-luscious-wonder-graaaaaaaaaanny! Happy Birthday to Yoooooooooou!!! (You actually have to sing it outloud Leonie) (Oh and no birthday punches cause you might break her, oh and are you going to put 90 candles on the cake? Cause thats ALOT! Love ya lots!)

Anonymous said...

Dear Leonie's Granny,

Another year older, another year better ;o)

H*A*P*P*Y *90th* B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y & many, many more! Keep on going strong!

Many cheerful greetings from Germany for a hilarious, marvelous, gorgeous, wonderful, joyful, radiating, sunny, magic birthday with your loved ones,

Nicole

Sue said...

Happy Happy Birthday to your wonderful Granny! What a beautiful, fun woman she looks to be!

Unknown said...

happy birthday to your wonderful granny!!! i was also blessed with a free-spirited fun-filled grandmother! i know how lucky we both are... i really do. mine didn't make it to 90. i miss her so much!

enjoy the time you have with her!

Anonymous said...

Birthday blessings for a wonderful powerful joyful woman ... an inspiration!

Amanda said...

AMAZING!!! what a beautiful soul.
thank you for sharing about her:)

Michelle (a.k.a. la vie en rose) said...

oh my god! it's women like your grandmother that are my super sheroes! i can only hope to live up to their example.

::Bek Geach:: said...

Happy Happy Birthday Granny...
Such a wonderful post Leones... makes my heart smile.
Bx

Jessica S. said...

she is awesome, what a hoot!
bday wishes granny, from Texas.

nina beana said...

i'm crying! again! leonie makes nina beana cry with happiness...always.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to a gran with rockin' hair and a fabulous smile...that picture of gran on the see-saw is classic. FRAME IT! xx

maitrilibellule said...

Leonie! Your Grandmother is a GODDESS!!!! Now I see that you come from a long line of Goddess Women! Oh to have that spunk and spark and magic when I'm her age! That would be something to hope and dream for! Thank you so much for sharing honey!

Hugs and Love,

Maitri

Anonymous said...

leonie,

your gran is golden. you can really hear that she is not hanging onto things best resting in the past. what an inspiration. i love her!

from pixie and baby miles in southern california!